Friday, June 06, 2008

my new obsession

Grilled fruit. I can not explain how delicious this is. I've grilled up some peaches twice this week. I looked at tons of variations and finally came up with this creation.



Halve the peaches. Sprinkle generously with sugar. Let them sit for a bit while the sugar dissolves. Grill the peaches flesh side down for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then turn over and grill for about 1-2 minutes more. Take them off the grill and then drizzle with molasses. Serve with crème fraîche. I don't think I had really ever had crème fraîche before as it is not widely available and because of the cost is mainly used in high end cooking. So I decided to make some of my own. It is sort of a lighter tastier version of sour cream. It was totally worth it. I was the perfect compliment to the grilled fruit.

Crème Fraîche

To make your own is very easy. Using a glass container, start out with heavy cream (i actually just used regular whipping cream and it was fine). Then add buttermilk.

I added 2 tablespoons of buttermilk to my one cup of cream. I stirred it up a bit covered it with plastic and then let it sit overnight at room temperature. Everything I read assured me this is perfectly safe and that the good bacteria cultures in the buttermilk help stave off the bad ones. About 16 hours later it was a thick delicious cream.

I plan on making it all the time now. I plan on trying this with nectarines, plums and apricots. Yum, yum!

8 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Impressive.

Cara said...

I made frozen pizza yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Devry you have really improved upon the cuisine in our home. It is always fun to see what you will come up with next. After years of not loving to cook but doing it because it needed to be done I am starting to find pleasure in the creative aspects of the task. You're great. MOM

Cara said...

Also, I gained 5 pounds reading your blog. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

Well, Devry, it looks like you and Q are going to have to find a place to live where you can plant an orchard. Then I will come and live with you and always eat at your table. Yum.

jmr said...

dude, Devry, you are so skilled at making me hungry. Oh, and so cool you did all that research for Quinn, he is so lucky to have ya :)

Anonymous said...

Will you come to my cooking class and teach the kids this???? That would be way cool. You are just too creative for words, Martha. Love you! Aunt Pam

Justin said...

That sounds so delicious. Like peaches could get any better...