Tuesday, August 26, 2008

the move

Our move did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. Even though Quinn's company was paying for movers, we still ran into our fair share of problems and headaches. I overestimated my abilities to get everything done while suffering from constant all-day pregnancy sickness and absolute exhaustion. So Friday night, with our moved scheduled for Saturday morning, I of course had a freak out moment that we were never going to get everything done. Finally I gave up trying and just went to bed because I was so tired.

Saturday morning we drove down to the new apartment paid our money and got the keys. Then we drove back up to the old apartment to finish packing and wait for the movers. They called to say they were running behind schedule so it would be later afternoon when they got there. Fine with me, I took a nap. Finally around four o'clock we got another call saying the team that was suppose to move us got in an accident on the highway and one of the guys got hurt and had to go to the hospital. The basic point of the phone call was to inform us they weren't going to be able to move us that day. Our bed was already disassembled and wrapped up for moving. Quinn and I moved some of the more fragile valuable stuff ourselves that night. We had discussed just sleeping on the couch and the floor of our apartment, but I was able to talk Quinn into getting a motel because as usual I was exhausted and needed sleep.

We went to the Motel Six. I should have known something was amiss when the guy let me pay in cash and never asked for a credit card. The room was falling apart around us. I slept fine, because I have the talent to be able to sleep anywhere, anytime and through anything. Quinn however did not sleep very well. But he made good use of his sleeplessness and watched the gold medal game for USA basketball.

We woke up in the morning to housekeeping banging on our door. There were absolutely no toiletries in the motel, no shampoo, no lotion, just bar soap. So I washed my hair with bar soap. Hello, does that even sound like me? I was desperate. We got dressed in our random assortment of clothing that we could find and went to wait for the movers. They finally showed up and man those guys worked hard. They hauled every piece of furniture and box we had out of our second story apartment and loaded it onto the truck, then unloaded all the same stuff and delivered it to our third story apartment (with the help of the elevator). I was exhausted just watching them.

So we finally got moved. Yesterday, I got our bedroom, living room, and the bathrooms set up before I collapsed with exhaustion. I still have the kitchen and the extra bedroom to go. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Devry, you are Superwoman, totally. Wish I were there to help you but now that you are in your new place you can unpack at your leisure. No deadlines.
Congratulations on your new home.
Love you.

KickButtMommy said...

Devry, that sounds so horrible! I am glad you made it through to the other side. AND I am so glad you had movers doing the heavy work. What a pain, literally, it is to move up 3 flights of stairs. Miles and I did it almost single handedly once. Can't wait to see pics of the new place and get the official tour!

Cara said...

The bathrooms and bedroom is always first priority! Everything else can wait. Aren't you excited about setting up the baby's room? So much fun!

Dana said...

Wow, I don't think I would have unpacked and organized anymore than you did yesterday before collapsing in exhaustion and I'm not even pregnant.

Lindsay said...

Sounds like an ordeal, but I'm glad you are in the new place on on your way to getting settled. You take it as easy as you need to. Can't wait to see some pics :)

Jenna and Joe Layne said...

that is quite the move! congrats on your pregnancy and Quinn's graduation! I'm so happy for you guys! do you know what you are having?

Kristy said...

Okay give yourself sooo much more credit! You are doing things that are so hard and frustrating when you're not pregnant and you're in the sucky pregnant time. You are A-mazing! Yeah I for one totally think moving sucks and I'm glad that it is over for you. Have fun setting everything up! Good Luck in your new area!

The Condies said...

Hello...... I did not even know you were pregnant! How far along are you! I hope the rest of the move goes better.

the peine's said...

Good luck D! Sorry that it didn't go to smoothly. At least you are in & can sleep in your bed. Miss you!

KA said...

Beyond heinous. And your text made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on surviving the move while pregnant! That pregnancy tiredness is in every cell of your body and there is no getting around it! Great job!
Frybaby