Monday, August 10, 2009

frugality

I've been wanting to get into the world of coupon shopping for a while now. I've been to many websites but it all sort of seemed overwhelming and I didn't know where to start. Last week I saw a show that talked about this lady and her website The Grocery Game. Basically, she will provide you with a list of the best sales and the best way to use your coupons to maximize those sales for each week for pretty much any grocery store. So I signed up for the 4 week trial (I think it is $10 for a 12 week subscription after that). So I did it. I bought the Sunday paper and clipped away last night. Then I logged on and chose the store I wanted and saw the list of what she recommends buying this week. I made my list, gathered up my coupons and off I went this morning.

Here are the end results:

I bought $72.87 worth of groceries and cleaning supplies for a total cost of $38.09 for a total savings of: $34.78

Not bad for my first time out. And I know the more I clip the more I will be able to save. And I bought two things that I didn't have a coupon for some wheat bread and a soda (because it is ridiculously hot here today and I was dying!)

Also, I'm getting better and navigating the world of getting screaming deals at Walgreens. And now I live by RiteAid so I need to start learning about that too.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I used to do one called Coupon Chasers that I LOVED. I am in the process of a couple months trial of Grocery Game, but I find that it is basically what I do anyway, which is making sure the ads and the coupons I have. So I don't think I will continue with it. I am sad, however, that our local market stopped doubling coupons. That saved me a TON of money.

GrandmaNutt said...

Wow Devry, you certainly have the Midas touch. I'm impressed.

Cara said...

Too bad Costco doesn't accept coupons.

Anonymous said...

i have been trying to do the whole coupon thing too! it's tough! but, worth it, especially in the case such as yours! congrats!

Stephanie said...

We could talk for hours about this Dev, and we should.

brittani c. said...

I need to be better at coupon clipping. By the time I print out the coupons, they sit around until they expire. Shame, shame.