Friday, February 05, 2010

sophisticated palate

Turns out Asher has a pretty sophisticated palate. I will try foods with him thinking there is no way he will like them and he does. He begs for anything I am eating. Often times I give him a taste thinking he will dislike it and this will stop him from whining, but usually he just wants more.

For instance, just now I was feeding him some dinner of sweet potatoes, green beans and crackers and I was munching on some dried cranberries. He soon became disinterested in his food and wanted mine. So I put one on his tray thinking he would promptly spit it out given its tartness. Not so. He begged for more. He ate a big handful of them before I finally put a stop to it.

Another example happened last week when I made some roasted winter vegetables consisting of brussel sprouts, parsnips and potatoes for our dinner. I didn't offer any initially to Asher because I thought he wouldn't like them. I was very wrong. He begged to have some and then promptly devoured every last brussel sprout I put on his tray (and that was a lot).

But if you think Asher is a food snob, he is not. He also knows how to keep it real. Just today he had his first meal of Easy Mac. A true rite of passage for all children.

3 comments:

GrandmaNutt said...

That Asher-boy is quite the gormand. I still remember his facial expression when you gave him a spoonful of baby peas. His gagging reflex was so funny. What a difference a few months makes.

How did Quinn like the parsnips and brussel sprouts?

KickButtMommy said...

Sounds like a good combination of his parents. Parsnips and easy mac.

Cara said...

I don't think I've ever had brussel sprouts or parsnips. Easy Mac on the other hand...