Friday, March 30, 2012

Charleston

While my parents visited we took a weekend trip down to Charleston. When I visited a few years back with my bestie Kim, I fell instantly in love and have always wanted an excuse to go back.

We headed out Friday morning. I have to say it was so nice to go on a road trip in our new car and have all kinds of room and still have 6 people in the car.  We grabbed a quick breakfast at McDonald's and had to deal with Asher throwing a minor fit over not getting french fries. I have to say, I really wish McDonald's would sell french fries 24/7. It would make my life much easier.

We pretty much drove straight down with a pit stop at South of the Border of course. Then we stopped maybe 30 minutes outside of Charleston at a Chick-Fil-A to let Asher play and the adults eat a late lunch.

We stayed at a resort called Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms. Amazing! We had a very nice two bedroom condo that we shared with my parents.  We rested for a bit then headed to the beach. We had beautiful 80 degree weather the whole weekend.

The boys were on the lookout for alligators.

Beckham surprisingly really loved the water




 Grandma and Grandpa loved the beach as well


Beckham loved playing in the sand and only ate the tiniest bit.



Asher got soaked and loved running in and out of the waves.

 After the beach we headed out to find a place to eat. We ended up at a place called Gilligan's. They had great hush puppies and really good crab cakes so I was happy.


Saturday morning we ate breakfast at the resort and then drove into Charleston. It was St. Patrick's Day and there was lots of craziness around. We took a carriage ride around town. I didn't take any pictures this time since I had already been but it was a lovely afternoon. Asher loved riding in a carriage and spent a lot of time before and after petting the mules and horses. After our carriage ride, we spent some time in the central market looking at all of the souvenir and local artisan stuff to be purchased. Then we headed out in search of food. We headed to a restaurant that was recommended to us by a friend but as luck would have it, it is closed for lunch on Saturday's. We found a restaurant across the street called High Cotton and ate there instead. After our late lunch we headed back to the resort for relaxation and more beach.


The next morning we headed out to breakfast at another local restaurant recommended to us by my friend. Again, as luck would have it, they only accept cash and none of us had any. So we went down the street a bit and ended up with another delicious breakfast. Then we drove out to Magnolia Plantation.

Apparently it was mating season for the peacocks so they put on quite the show for us.



My parents took the house tour but since we have two little kids and I had already done the tour, we took the kids to the petting zoo instead. 



After the house tour finished we toured the gardens. This is one of the prettiest places I have ever been. Once again, I didn't take many pictures since I did last time I went, but I loved it just as much the second time. On our walks around the ponds, we saw alligators. Lots and lots of alligators.


Really big alligators.

Asher was beyond thrilled with our discoveries.

After our tour of the plantation we got back in the car and headed out for home. It was a short but fun trip.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Two things: I hate/love this. Hate that I wasn't there and love because those pics of beckham on the beach, LOVE.

Second, am I the only one terrified of those alligators?

GrandmaNutt said...

Gotta love the gators, or as they are affectionately referred to "Lou'siana yard dogs"

On second thought...gotta love the boys instead. They are so handsome. Looks like a fab trip.

Stephanie said...

I love the chair pick with Grandma and Grandpa! This looks like the perfect winter trip.

KickButtMommy said...

Looks truly beautiful there. So glad you got to go on a fun little getaway with your fun parents!