Monday, June 12, 2006

The King and I

It has long been a dream of mine to travel to Thailand. In fact, Mallory and I have lbeen planning a fabulous vaction to Thailand to celebrate her graduation from high school. I think my getting married may have hampered those plans. I can't really understand my obsession with Thailand. But it pretty much began seven years ago when I saw the movie "Brokedown Palace." To this day, this has got to be one of my favorite movies. I cry every single time I watch it and I have seen it many many times. Last night, I found it at my parents house so we put it in and watched it. We didn't even start the movie until after 10 pm but I didn't mind. I would sacrifice much sleep for this film.

Really, if someone hasn't seen it, you must. It might not be for everyone but I just love what this movie says about friendship. As Lindsay said this morning over IM, it is "delightfully depressing".


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please advise when you purchase your and Mallory's airline tickets to Thailand. She will be thrilled.

Anonymous said...

i am also obsessed with thailand and jake has agreed to a vacation there. let's get planning!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Thailand!! As in Siam?!!! Can I go, huh? Can I?! Can I?!!!! We had an R.M. from the Bangkok Mission speak yesterday (Grant Gibb--Quinn knows him)and it was fascinating. The language is so melodic. Just don't think I could handle the spiders as part of the diet....but 'exotic'food is part of the appeal. Just think, traveling across the world with your mother-in-law. Gotta luv it!

Anonymous said...

FYI, no LDS missionaries are allowed in the southern part of Thailand, where it is predominantly Muslim (several missionary deaths). In fact, it's a little scary for tourists now in southern Thailand, however the rest of the country is very tourist friendly. I know this because of a recently returned RM sitting a few yards away from me. By the way, I've heard of another movie that deals with "friends" with a similar title, " Brokeback Mountain". Someone said it is "delightfully gay".

KA said...

I've heard nothing but rave reviews from everyone I know who has been to Thailand (and the number of such people in my life has increased dramatically over the past 2 years). I also loved that movie, but I can't really say it inspired in me a desire to be a tourist there.

JerzyGrl said...

my favorite vacation EVER was to Phuket. i highly recommend it. and i was only 12 at the time (so i'm sure it would be even more fun nowadays). i'll be so jealous when you go!