Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Weird Movie Experience

Tonight, Quinn and I braved the storm and ignored all the tornado warnings and went out to the movie theaters. We decided to see "Disturbia." We noticed things seemed a little off in the theater. There were just a handful of adults [read: 18 and up]. There seemed to be a lot of teenagers in the audience and they all seemed to know each other. The longer we sat there, the more the teens flooded in. The theater grew very loud and lively as they all were shouting, hugging and trying to get each others attention. Apparently, the theater is the local high school hang out. Things just got worse. Before the movie started we got a stern warning from an employee about cell phones and how there will be no warnings tonight they will just ask you to leave if they see a cell phone. We were also graced by the presence of 2 police officers and about 6 theater employees. They stayed in the theater the whole time. Finally the move started and things calmed down. But not for long. You see, "Disturbia" is a bit of a suspense thriller. Let's just say the shrill screams got a little out of control. They were coming every couple of seconds and you couldn't even hear the dialogue. Quinn was getting very annoyed by it. But we survived. But is was definitely the most surreal experience I've ever had at a movie theater. And we have vowed to not go back to that theater on a Friday night. But despite all of that, the movie was quite good. If you like a suspense thriller, this one delivers.

As a side note, I'm starting to feel like I belong in Texas. Tonight, while driving to the theater, a car signaled us and asked us to roll our window down. So I did and he asked me for directions to IKEA and I actually knew how to get him there. It was a truly momentous occasion.

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I was in a theater once with a friend and a lady's phone started ringing. Everyone made loud objections etc etc. A few minutes later it happened again. People were screaming at this poor woman. "Turn off your FFFFFing phone!" I was appalled. The poor woman said "sorry, it is new, I am trying". I felt so bad for her and couldn't believe people could be so rude.

Anonymous said...

First of all....DISTURBIA?!! I can tell you guys are young and full of adrenalin and enjoy a good scare. Us old folks would just sit there and die of a heart attack. My idea of a horrible scare is getting on the scales.
Glad to hear that Dallas is finally feeling comfortable...it is a great city.

Cara said...

Again, go to the movies Saturday morning at 11 AM - teenagers are still asleep, AND you get matinee prices.

Devry said...

Cara, you speak the truth. This was our first non-matinee since we've moved here, and we definitely learned our lesson.

Anonymous said...

My ungainly long legs don't fit well in movie theater seats unless I am on the row directly behind the aisle. With this being the prime seating for anyone over 5'10" (or under 5'6") I rarely get to sit there and find myself crammed in behind someone. I have to find creative ways to position my body to be comfortable for 2 hours. I usually end up with my knees propped up against the seat in front of me. Not once, but twice: (TWICE!) Whilst contorted in such a position, a girl sitting in front of me reached back and began scratching my knee.
BTW I find the Monday matinees also weed out the kiddie crowd you get on Saturday mornings.