Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Gratitude

Sunday during testimony a man bore his testimony regarding gratitude. He quoted the line from Sheryl Crowe's "Soak Up The Sun: --"It's not having what you want It's wanting what you've got." The basic premise of his testimony was that if we are not grateful for what we already have, how can we expect the Lord to bless us with more. His words have stuck with me over the last 24 hours. I think I've been so busy wanted to be blessed with certain things that I want, that I am neglecting being grateful for the things I have already been blessed with. I would like to go ahead and repent now.

I'm grateful for the following blessings in my life:

1. The love, companionship, support and understanding of my wonderful husband, Quinn. He has loved me absolutely unconditionally during a very difficult time.

2. The support of the Arnett and DelHoyo families, in particular, our parents. We could not have made it through the last year without them. Over the last 18 months, we have made a lot of important decisions and I've felt nothing but support from them. Their support has enabled Quinn to focus on school and for me to tackle the depression and other things that I've been dealing with lately.

3. My mother who has let me be "her particular companion" these last few months. It has made all the difference.

4. My father who gave me an early Christmas present and got me a gym membership because he knows that exercise will help to relieve the stress and help me feel better. And also because he wants me to be in shape for when Quinn and I have an opportunity to start a family.

5. Health. We've been sans health insurance for almost a year now and have been blessed to not have any major illness that would require expensive trips to doctors.

6. My friends who didn't give up on me. I'm thankful that they didn't desert me when I didn't return emails or phone calls.

7. My Savior, Jesus Christ. I know He walks beside me in this journey. However, I have not been the most faithful companion. I often leave Him and wonder off, but He has never left me and always welcomes me back with open arms. For this, I will be eternally grateful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the greatest, and I love you and I am thankful for you being in my life. I have been nothing but a better person b/c of you.

KickButtMommy said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony, Devry, and your gratitude. It is a great reminder to me. I have always loved that line of Soak up the Sun. You are truly a loved daughter, sister, friend, wife, aunt, cousin, and daughter of our Heavenly Father.

the peine's said...

Devry,

Thanks for sharing. I will have a better day because of your testimony. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Vicky and I are so very blessed and thankful that Quinn had enough smarts to marry you so that we could share in your life and in your love. Thank you for taking good care of Quinn. WE LOVE YOU.

lacy lee said...

D- this post made me tear up! You are the bomb and I love you! PS, when you're finished, can I be Kathy's "particular companion?"

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Dad D wrote about being grateful for Quinn's 'smarts'. But we are very thrilled and grateful for you, Devry, and for everything that you bring into Q's life and the direction and support that you give him. Besides that we love hearing your voice and your laughter and knowing that you are now a member of our family. We are at last complete.

jmr said...

kickbutt is right, you are a loved cousin. I'm so glad Quinn found you and thanx for sharing this post, it was just what I needed to read today. :) dinner sometime?