Friday, October 03, 2008

not so subtle

Yesterday I had another doctor's appointment. Let's just say it wasn't good for the self esteem. I guess I had gained a few (ok, 4 lbs) since my last appointment. So my doctor in a not so subtle way basically said I needed to stop gaining weight...basically she called me fat. She gave me such advice like drink skim instead of whole milk...hello? I don't remember the last time I drank whole milk. Oh, and she told me to lay of the sweets. Um, what is the point of being pregnant then? Don't get me wrong, I'm not using this as an excuse to shove anything and everything in my mouth, but I also don't feel like I should have to deprive myself.

But all in all it was a good appointment. I got to hear the heartbeat again which was good since I haven't really felt the baby move yet, so I was starting to get mildly paranoid about that. So, my mind was put at ease.

9 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Crazy doctor! I saw your pic. You look fabulous. And what good is pregnancy if you can't eat. In my book it is the only time I feel completely justified in eating whatever and whenever I want! I get all worked up too between appointments and can't wait to hear/see that baby again. Once they start to move, it is so much better!

Cami said...

yay for the heartbeat! I always had mixed emotions about dr appts because of the scale! don't worry about it, you look awesome!

The Condies said...

That is so funny, I am totally in the same boat you are. Why be pregnant if you can't eat everything!!!!

KA said...

You just wanna say It's called bedside manner. Ever heard of it?

Anonymous said...

I gained 9 lb in one month. Other months I gained much less. Story by me. The point is, I think some months you gain more than others. You can have "spurts". As long as you are eating healthy, with occasional indulgences, I think you are fine. That's just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Back when I was "enjoying" my pregnancies the theory was that only 20 pounds should be gained. Anything over that was attributed to Mommy gluttony. At least today there is a healthier and more realistic approach. Besides, you look great and if you feel great that is what is important. Keep that little peanut growing and jumping.

Love your blog's new look....so eye-catching.

Anonymous said...

Look, you were super sick in the beginning, you deserve to eat!

Cara said...

My biggest one month gain was 10 pounds during my third pg, and the doc told me not to eat too many hot dogs over Memorial Day weekend. The weight gain can come in spurts, like your friend said, and if you've only gained 8 pounds total for 16 weeks...that's cause to celebrate!

Justin said...

Wendy was really offended when, early in her pregnancy, a clueless nurse looking at some graph told her that she was dangerously underweight and that the baby would likely be malnourished. The doctor came in a few minutes ago and said "that's crazy...you're healthy, you're gaining weight, the baby looks good...don't listen to what the nurse said!" So I guess it all comes down to who you talk to.

But the doctor seriously told you not to drink whole milk...thanks for that helpful advice, doc!