Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Русско

What I am about to relate does not depict me in the best light. But as I was talking on the phone with my mom last night and related this story to her, she almost died laughing and told me I had to blog about it. So, here it goes.

Yesterday, I guess I was a little bored at work. I was messing around with my phone settings while I was on a phone call. I discovered that I could change the language of my phone. There were many different options. French, Portugese, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, etc… So, I decided to change my language settings to Russian. I thought I had thought it through enough. In my English settings, it said all of these languages in the actual language. So my thinking was that I would be able to mess around and change the language settings and figure out how to switch it back to English because it would say "English" in English. Hope this is all making sense. Well, as you might imagine, this is either not the case or I have not been able to find the place that says "English." So now my phone is completely in Russian and it is rendered slightly useless. When you search for a contact by letter nothing comes up since Russians use the cyrillic alphabet. So they only way I can use my phone is to scroll through my entire phonebook and find the name. Last night it was very difficult to find the alarm setting. But luckily I did and my alarm went off this morning and I made it to work.

And now a plea to my dear sister Mallory who knows the most Russian out of anyone I know. Isn't she adorably cute? If you could please send me an email with the words--- phone, settings, language and English---written in Russian that would be most appreciated. Hopefully I can figure out how to get my phone back to normal. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to take it into the store and have them restore factory settings and loose all of my information. So Mallory, can you please help me out??!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

first of all i'm offended that you chose that picture of me, and second of all what do you think that sign means cuz it still perplexes me to this day, and thirdly yes i will do that but i don't know all of those words unfortunately.

Devry said...

Mal, I got that picture off of your myspace account, so you only have yourself to blame.

Lindsay said...

Might I suggest just going into the store and looking at a phone of the same model as yours. Following the prompts there whilst copying them on the "russian" phone. Then you can follow the prompts without knowing what exactly it is saying. Just a thought. Good luck with that ;)

Devry said...

Lindsay,

Thank you for the suggestion. Indeed, earlier this morning, I downloaded the user manual for my phone and did just such a thing, but it did not work. I pushed all the buttons they told me to push to change the language settings but no English option ever appeared. But never fear, I just fixed it. It took me all morning, but I just used the process of elimination and went through every menu in my phone until I finally saw the word English. Phew!

Anonymous said...

Do you live in Provo, Utah, home of the language training mission for the Russian language. Press 1 if you do? Press 2 if you don't. Get the picture? Press 1 if you do, press 2 if you don't.

Anonymous said...

should have called me I have like 3 type faces on my computer that are russian, oh well

Anonymous said...

The sign means: "No teasing the dog by holding a stick over his head higher than he can jump to get it."

Note: May have lost something in translation from Russian to English.

Anonymous said...

i believe the sign is a warning to the dog from the stinky russian. "don't come any closer to my armpit, rabid dog, or you will be rendered lame from the horrible stench eminating from my body"

Anonymous said...

Dogs must be at least this tall to climb the stairs. Any short dog caught trying to climb the stairs will be sent to Siberia.

Anonymous said...

Don't play fetch with the fetchin' dog on the grass