Friday, December 01, 2006

A Holiday Song Book

Obviously I've been listening to nothing but holiday music on my car radio. I'm very grateful to both KOSY 106.5 and Light FM 100. Although I did think it a bit on the ridiculous side that they began playing Christmas music in October. But now that it is post Thanksgiving I'm in the full holiday music swing. For example, this morning Mariah Carey serenaded me on my drive this morning singing her holiday classic "All I Want For Christmas Is You." So what are your favorite holiday songs? Let's discuss.

A few of my favorites are:

Hark the Herald Angels Sing -- some renditions are definitely better than others, but in general, I love this hymn/Christmas carol.

Breath of Heaven -- on Amy Grant's album

Oh, Holy Night -- I'm partial to Celine Dion's version, but then again I'm partial to anything Celine Dion as my Celine sweatshirt and souvenir cup suggests.

Mary, did you know? -- on Clay Aiken's album. I adored it when he sang it live. Yes, I've been to TWO Clay Aiken concerts.

Do you hear what I hear? --I seriously just love this song. I don't have a favorite rendition yet, but I've heard it several times over the last few days and I'm loving it.

Mary's Lullaby --I grew up with my mom and her sisters signing this around the piano every Christmas Eve. I have the sheet music and even though I can't play the piano, I still attempt to play this song at Christmas time because I love it.

The First Noel (the Canon in D arrangement)-- I absolutely fell in love with this arrangement when we sang it in ward choir a few years ago. I wish I could find a good version on CD somewhere. I would buy it immediately.

10 comments:

KA said...

I have many thoughts on this matter--so many, that I might need a whole post of my own to do it justice. However, I will say that A) Whitney Houston's is the best Do You Hear What I Hear and B) I have also been to 2 Clay Aiken concerts. His Joy to the World is fabulous.

Devry said...

I heard Whitney's version on the radio last night and while I will give you that it is a very good rendition, it has one major drawback for me. The key is too low for me to sing along with. Thus, it cannot occupy my spot as the best Do You Hear What I Hear.

KickButtMommy said...

What about Bing Crosby's do you hear what I hear?

I have to go with I'll be home for Christmas and Dean Martin with It's Cold Outside! Oh yeah!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Our relief soceity is singing Mary's lullaby in Sacrament on the 17th. I have yet to get through a practice without crying.

Anonymous said...

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" has significant meaning for me nowadays ;-)

lacy lee said...

Oooh! I like Sleigh Ride (we grew up with a tape of Julie Andrews singing it. I had even had an interpretive dance to go along with it).

We Three Kings is also a classic.

Cara said...

I can't believe no one has mentioned "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole! Although I also like Michael Bouble's version. I also like a lot of Johnny Mathis's Christmas songs.

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, Silver Bells, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Little Saint Nick (by the Muppets of course).

If you've never heard the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album, I recommend it. The Muppets version of 12 days of Christmas is the ONLY version worth listening to! Miss Piggy is the best.

Anonymous said...

Mo Tab...Handel's Messiah...end of discussion and Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Anonymous said...

"Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"
Nuff said!!!!
MIL

Anonymous said...

I can't believe all the crap you have to wade through to get one decent song on those radio stations. I love Christmas music and would listen to it in July but I couldn't feel any more disagreement than I am feeling now. A few good ones have been mentioned (John Denver and the Muppets and Mary's Lullabye) but honestly people. If you want to hear some good songs check out this blog