Thursday, June 14, 2007

Out With the Old, In With the New

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are out. Say goodbye to:

The Pyramids of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
Mausoleum at Halicarnassuss
Colossus of Rhodes
Lighthouse at Alexandria.

There is a worldwide vote going on now for the new Seven Wonders of the World. Perhaps, this is just in time since only one of the original 7 wonders is still in existence. And on that note, the Pyramids of Giza have an automatic bid for the new Seven Wonders. Apparently, the Egyptians were slight insulted that they would be put up for a vote. I have to say, I see their point. Take a minute and check out the contenders and vote.

I voted for the following and most of them were for purely selfish reasons:

  • Angkor at Cambodia--someday I plan on seeing this for myself. If it is the last thing I do before I die I will get to Southeast Asia and tour Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.
  • The Colosseum at Rome--again, another place I must go before I die.
  • The Great Wall--come on, you can see this from space, it was a no brainer for me.
  • St. Basil/Kremlin--purely selfish, I've already been there done that so if it makes it I'll be able to say I've seen one of the 7 wonders.
  • Petra at Jordan--always loved this from the Indiana Jones movie.
  • Taj Mahal--not sure why, it just looks cool.
  • Statue of Liberty--I have to admit this was again the been there done that in me coming out, also a bit of American pride I suppose, but I realize it has probably zero chance and deservedly so. It's not quite on par with the rest.

6 comments:

Justin said...

I can agree with Petra, and would also add Machu Picchu in Peru as one of them as well.

Where can we vote?

Justin said...

Nevermind, I found where to vote by clicking on the link in your post...duh!

Anonymous said...

I guess the key word is "NEW" as opposed to the Wonders we have revered for awhile. I chose from the list...Machu Picchu
Great Wall of China
Pyramid of Chichen Itza
Angkor Wat
Easter Island
And added my own Wonders
Plain of Jars (in Laos)
Nan Madol (on Pohnpei)
I like the wonder (mystery) of WHAT they were in addition to HOW they were made. That was fun. Thanks Devry

KickButtMommy said...

Never been to any. I am so untraveled.

Cara said...

I voted for:
Stonehenge (been there)
Neuschwanstein Castle (been there)
Easter Island
Kremlin
Taj Mahal
Petra at Jordan
Chichen Itza

JerzyGrl said...

I'm been to Petra, The Great Wall, and Statue of Libery...All great wonders!

I think the Pyramids should stay, although I have been there and they were not as cool as I had thought they'd be. Might also be because I was dying from the HEAT!