Friday, June 22, 2007

What Do These Two Things Have in Common?

Symphony and Video Games?

Some might think they are an unlikely pair, but last night they were brought together by the touring Video Games Live. This, first of its kind tour, pairs some of the best and most memorable game music with top orchestras and choirs. It is all synchronized with lighting and video montages.

Luckily, Quinn was able to score discount tickets through the school, so last night we went to our first symphony together.

The music was truly fantastic. Really it was. Some of the games I had never heard of, but their musical scores alone made me want to go out and buy them.

The highlight of the evening for me was the piece featuring the music from the world of Super Mario. Who knew that little tune could sound so great? All it needed was the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and Choir to make it a true masterpiece.

Another highlight was the featured performer Martin Leung, otherwise known as the "Video Game Pianist." He played a medley featuring the music of Final Fantasy and then a few other pieces from Super Mario. The furor and speed with which his hands moved up and down the piano was astonishing. Check it out here for yourself.

3 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

That sounds like so much fun! I am so impressed.

Cara said...

@What I want to know is, did Mario and Luigi show up in tuxedos, sit in the VIP box? What about Donkey Kong?

That would be a fun CD

jmr said...

I love Mario Bro! I have the ringer on my phone. It makes me smile every time I hear it :)