Saturday, May 24, 2008

road trip: day 3

Day 3 consisted of 23 Arnetts making a pilgrimage to Blythe, CA and Cibola, AZ to see where it all began. It was really such a special and memorable trip. I know that I will never forget the memories we made that day as we braved the 112 degree heat as a family and learned more about my Grandpa Howard and Grandma Ethel and what truly amazing people they were and how lucky we are all to be there descendants.

Let the pictures begin. I know many are already posted on other people's blogs but I want them on mine too!


Now who wouldn't want to grow up in a town that has an establishment like this? Let's just say "Steaks and Cakes" is now our family chant.


This was my Mom's old haunt. She use to ride her bicycle here to get delicious treats as a child. I made my mom go in and see if they had any Coke Zero which, unfortunately, they did not. Apparently, it is a rare commodity in Blythe.


Our family on the bridge over the Colorado River.


This is the Bishop's house. I learned that it was home to a brother and sister duo who lived as recluses and shunned almost everyone except my Grandpa. According to all to my dad and uncles who apparently had many meals here, it has only changed about 10% from how it use to be back in the day.


A picture of what use to be my Grandpa Arnett's farm in Cibola.


The canal my Grandpa built.


The family gathered at the site of the plane crash. It was here that my Grandpa watched as two of his brothers died in a plane crash. Not long after, he lost the farm that he had spent 20 years of his life building. What an amazing man! My Grandpa Howard died when I was 16 and my Grandma Ethel died when I was 11. This trip made me feel closer to them than I have in a very long time. Thanks Jeff for making it all possible.

Lest you think the pictures are over, never fear, I have more. My mother also grew up in Blythe and we visited her landmarks as well.


What's left of my Grandpa Mortensen's feed lot and office.


My mom really enjoyed reliving her job of working the scales. If you look hard you can see her through the window.


The house my mom grew up in.

I also want to post links to two posts that give more justice to what was truly a once in a lifetime experience, Chea and Lacy. They both captured the experience far better than I ever could.

***UPDATE: Ok, all the posts about this are so good that I have to post all of them.***

Wendy
Heidi
Jeff
Lindsay
HB

3 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Devry, It looks like you had a great time bonding with your family and connecting to your heritage! Glad you went. I have actually been to Blythe before. Who knew that is where you hale from!

Anonymous said...

A trip that truly tugged at the heart strings. I enjoy getting to know about you a little more.

Soo, who drives the red Pacifica? Awesome car.

Anonymous said...

Dev-
I would very much like you to give your thoughts on your two most recent reads as I am considering reading both myself. Thank you.

Oh, and it appears you have a very lovely family.