Monday, November 10, 2008

because I wanted to



We had cheese fondue for dinner tonight. No, we weren't celebrating anything, I simply wanted it. I started to think about it last night and scoured the internet for recipes and for non-alcoholic renditions. Here is the recipe I ended up using. It was really good. Not too strong (which I sometimes think fondue can be).

Cloves of garlic, smashed
1 1/2 cups Gruyère cheese
1 1/2 cups Fontina cheese
1 cup white grape juice (substituted for the white wine)
1 T of lemon juice
2 T of cornstarch (or flour)
Pinch of Nutmeg

Grate cheese. Coat with cornstarch. Rub fondue pot with smashed garlic. Add grape and lemon juice and heat up. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add nutmeg.

I cut up french bread and steamed some mushrooms, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Voilà, dinner is served.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I do love your passion for all things food. From the display to the recipe, you always do fantastic things. I am also very happy you blog about it!

the peine's said...

Sounds delish!

GrandmaNutt said...

Dev, you are a delight in our family. Maybe now our level of cuisine will be raised through your example and encouragement. Lucky Quinner!

whitey said...

You are lucky you have a husband that is willing to try new things, mine is a picky eater.

Kristy said...

Man that looks so good! You are amazing Devry! I will totally try that. Oh P.S. could you please maybe hit up Cafe Rio and Bajio for me? They might have those in Texas but not here!:( One major disappointment.

Anonymous said...

JEALOUS OF THE CHEESE!!! (and the pretty pot actually)