Monday, March 20, 2006

I need help. Big time. This Saturday I went to my dress fitting. Now I was already a little scared of going, because what it the dress looked horrible. While the quality of work was fine, I was sorely disappointed in the dress. I had brought in a few pictures of the dress to make sure I had all my bases covered. Apparently, the lady was working off of just one. In the one she choose to use, one doesn't have a good view of the waistline. So she sort of just made it up, if you will. She had the waist sitting right at my natural waist. Let's be serious, who is that flattering on?? I don't care if you are Twiggy, a high waist line coupled with a poofy gathered skirt is still going to make you look huge. So needless to say, I looked like a huge hideous white marshmallow. The dress was suppose to have a drop waist. The seamstress is more than happy to remake the top but needs more material. The hard part is that the lace store where we bought the material has since gone out of business. So my dilemma is this: Do I spend many man hours trying to track down the owner of the store so she can tell me the manufacturer of the material, so I can purchase more, or do I buy all new fabric and have the dress completely remade (the seamstress seemed less than thrilled with this possibility), or do I divert my valuable man hours to scouring all stores in hopes of trying to find a dress that I love??? I'm truly at a loss. A call goes out to all of those ladies who have seen the dress that I'm after. If you see anything similar at stores around here, please let me know. Even if it is long. I can hack of the bottom and modify it so it fits with my vision. Any help at all is welcome!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dearest DevHoyo, I am here for you. I have a guy in South Phoenix that gets in absolutely gorgeous weddings dresses from thrift shop auctions. You know, bodice, lace, etc. Most are just a little off-white and smell of moth balls, but my what nice material. I've even seen some with dropped waistlines. I'll try some on today to see how they fit me. If they fit loosely below my enlarged gut, I'll consider them dropped waistline worthy. Just let me know what particular shade of off-white you're looking for and I'll see what I can do. Incidentally, I really do understand about no one looking good with their natural waistline. It seems my waistline becomes more and more prominent with each passing year and my beltline keeps getting lower. I used to wear 30x30 jeans in high school. Now I wear more like 60x20.

Devry said...

UPDATE:

First, jla, you are too kind. I really appreciate you scouring thrift shops for me. But it probably won't be necessary. Lindsay and I visited a bridal shop today and were able to find a dress that with some alterations will capture my vision. I think the sales lady thought we were crazy (and i know one of the other mother's in the shop did as she exclaimed "Oh, my!") when we told them we wanted them to hack of the bottom of the dress. But the seamstress at the bridal shop assured me she could do it and in fact had just done it for another dress. She showed me the dress and it looked adorable. Anyway, long story short. Whether I end up going this way and purchasing dress with modifications or having seamstress lady remake the entire dress, I am feeling much better about the situation. Thanks to my dearest cousin Lindsay for going with me today at lunch and being my moral support! You are the best.