Thursday, May 17, 2007

Craziness

The craziest thing just happened. My phone rang tonight and it was a number I didn't recognize. I answered it (which is something I rarely do). Immediately the guy on the other end asks "Is this Devry?" to which I hesitantly reply "Yes". He then tells me I don't know him, but that he was recently in Jamaica and met a Sarah who says she knows me. Hearing that name was a shock. Sarah was my best friend when I lived in Ecuador. I haven't seen her or spoken to her since I was 15 years old.

Turns out this guy who called me is from Salt Lake and was on vacation in Jamaica. He overheard Sarah speaking Spanish. He went on to tell me that he too speaks Spanish because he served a mission in PR. I guess it caught his attention because Sara looks very very Dutch. Anyway, he says they got to talking and she found out that he was LDS and from Utah. She went on to tell him that she use to have a friend that was Mormon that she use to go to church with from time to time and that I was from Utah as well. I'm still fuzzy on some of the details but I guess he volunteered to try and track me down when he got back to Utah. Sarah had given him my name and he tracked down my parent's house and then was forwarded on to me. He got my email and was going to forward it on to Sarah.

It was in a bit of shock after I hung up the phone. 14 years later. It is just crazy to think about it. I can't wait to hear from her. The guy knew that she had just recently moved to Jamaica with her husband who is apparently the Executive Chef at the Ritz Carlton down there.

What a small world full of crazy coincidences. I thankful for the man taking the time to look me up and helping to bring two old friends back together again.

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

That is really amazing. I hope you can get in contact with each other. I geuss it is a small world. Maybe you can go to Jamaica and stay at the Ritz Carlton to catch up! Maybe you can take your sweet SIL and BIL with you? (See, my mind is always on me.) I am excited for your good news!

Cara said...

Totally rad! Does anybody say "rad" anymore? I'm so retro.

the peine's said...

That is really cool! I agree with your SIL. Go catch up in Jamaica at the Ritz that would be AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

Love the new format...so wedding anniversary celebration with the pink. As far as strange voices on the phone....hope for the best but change the locks on the doors.

Devry said...

Update:

I just go an email from Sarah. I'm so excited to be back in touch. This is definitely making my day.

lacy lee said...

D- cool about your friend. I see you've just read The Namesake. Could I beg a quick review from you? I wanted to read it, but a friend said she hated it. Not sure what to do, as her opinion coinsides w/mine only half the time...thx!

jmr said...

so cool Devry, I love stuff like that!!!