Friday, May 04, 2007

What is in a name?

Someone in my new office apparently thinks my name is Avery. I never understood that one. I get it all the time. I mean come on, people, my name doesn’t even start with an A. So to mistakenly call someone a name that begins with a sound that is not even close to the sound it actually begins with is just ridiculous. I almost corrected him, but then I thought it would be more fun for him to come to the realization on his own when he hears everyone else in the office calling me by the correct name (because no one else seems to have a problem with it). Plus, I’m just never quite sure how to correct someone when they call you by the wrong name straight to your face. I guess I need to figure out a way to do this since I run into this problem all the time. Once when I was in the 9th grade, my Earth Science teacher called me DeVry (as in the University) the entire year. It was pretty funny.

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I had that problem when I started a new HS my Soph year. One girl thought my name was Hillary or something. By the time I realized she thought that was me, she had been saying it for a while and I was too embarassed to correct her after all of that time. She finally heard someone else call me Heather and turned bright red. I felt bad for not telling her, but it was kind of funny.

Cara said...

I usually get called Carol instead of Cara, but that's more understandable than getting Avery from Devry. I think you should pick a new name for him, and start using it.
"Hi Avery, how are you?"
"Oh I'm fine Billy Bob, and you?"
"My name's Steve"
"Oh that's funny, my name's DEVRY!"

Anonymous said...

When Quinn first told me your name I asked him how to spell it. When he told me I immediately said, "Oh, DeVry!" He quickly straightened me out.

JerzyGrl said...

I ALWAYS get called Elsie, which is an easy slip from Elise...and to this day I hardly ever correct people. I guess being a twin and having people call me Kristina half of my life has desensitized me to caring if people ever figure it out :)

Anonymous said...

Call him by a different name close to his name. When he corrects you, tell him your name unless, of course, he is your boss, then get used to "Avery".

Anonymous said...

Avery is a cute name, I am gonna store that one away in the possible baby names bank.

Oh by the way our blog addy changed, it is www.ryanbrijs.com/blog, sorry about that.

Go Jazz!

Lindsay said...

Can I just say how excited I am for you to be working again. I needed more posts from the Dallas DelHoyo's! Hooray